MALVERN - In an effort to revitalize the business district in Malvern, the Malvern Area Betterment Association (MABA) has accepted ownership of two neglected buildings located at 401 and 403 Main Street.
Both buildings have been vacant for many years and have fallen into disrepair. The previous owner of the buildings donated both structures, first erected in 1895 and 1910, to MABA earlier this spring. The 401 Main brick structure housed First National Bank in earlier years while the 403 Main building is commonly referred to as the “Wagon Wheel.”
With the assistance of the Southwest Iowa Planning Council (SWIPCO), the city of Malvern applied for a DNR (Derelict Building) grant to assist in the renovation.
Mayor Toni Michel was recently notified that the city will be awarded $80,000, which will go toward the initial examination of the buildings for hazardous materials and a structural engineering evaluation to determine what is necessary to clean up and restore the buildings. The grant funds will be used to clear out and stabilize the buildings in preparation for the next stages of restoration.
The city of Malvern has also applied for $500,000 through the Iowa Economic Development Authority’s CDBG (Community Development Block Grant) program for facade revitalization which would help owners renovate over 20 building facades in the business district of Malvern, including 401 and 403 Main. The Malvern City Council voted to dedicate $200,000 to the overall facade project, if the grant is awarded. Owners of the buildings would be required to fund a minimum of 25% of the cost of the work on building(s) they own. Applicant cities receiving CDBG funds were expected to be announced in May.
Additional information about the project is available from city clerk Sheri Mueller at 624-8282 or Kate Phelps at Malvern Trust & Savings Bank at 624-8686.