Friday Fire Leaves Emerson Family Without A Home

-A A +A
By Joe Foreman, Editor

EMERSON - An investigator from the Iowa State Fire Marshal’s Office was scheduled to be in Emerson Monday morning to examine the scene of a fire that gutted a private residence on Friday and caused significant property damage.

Firefighters from Emerson, Hastings and Red Oak responded to a report of fire at 512 Bartlett St. shortly before 11:30 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they encountered a multi-story home engulfed in smoke and flames.

Emerson city clerk Michelle Faxon said the home is owned by Angie Kaimann. She resided at the residence with two of her children. Nobody was in the home at the time of the fire.

Three family pets, two cats and one dog, survived the fire. Several kittens did not, Faxon said.

“The inside of the house was pretty much totaled,” Faxon said.

Faxon said firefighters believe the fire may have started in the basement of the structure, but additional information concerning the cause would be available after the fire marshal’s office completes its investigation.

The American Red Cross did assist the Kaimann family in finding temporary housing.