A garage and automobile behind a residence at 406 S. Hazel Street in Glenwood were destroyed by a fire Tuesday evening, May 4.
Glenwood firefighters responded to a call of a structure fire shortly before 6:30 p.m. The garage was completely engulfed in flames and heavy black smoke upon their arrival. Firefighters had the blaze contained in a matter of minutes, but the structure was a total loss.
There were no injuries sustained as a result of the blaze and the house that sits east of the garage was not damaged. The structures are rental property owned by Mark and Jodi Evans.
An investigation by the Glenwood Police Department determined that the fire was likely caused by two children playing in or near the garage. Glenwood Police Chief Eric Johansen said the fire is still under investigation.