.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Discarded Cigarette Suspected Cause Of Glenwood Duplex Fire

-A A +A
By Joe Foreman, Editor

Glenwood Fire Chief Robert “Butch” Fidler said a discarded cigarette on an outside deck was the likely cause of an early-morning fire Saturday that resulted in extensive damageto a two-story duplex at 511 S. Hazel St.

Fidler said the Glenwood Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the scene around 3:30 a.m. after occupants of the residence were awakened by a crackling sound and discovered the fire. Firefighters from Pacific Junction and Oak Township assisted at the scene, Fidler said.

The occupants of the residence, Rudy and Linze Camarillo and their 4- and 6-year-old daughters escaped the blaze without injury. A friend of the family, Dana Johnston, said Rudy Camarillo, a U.S. Marine, carried his daughters and the family dog out of the home. Johnston said he also “crashed” his neighbors’ door to alert them of the fire.

Fidler said most of the damage to the building is in the rafters and walls.

The American Red Cross has assisted the Camarillo family in finding temporary housing. Monetary and clothing donations are being collected for the family. An account has been established at Great Western Bank in Glenwood.